Skip to content



  • Is tertiary education in Hong Kong expensive?
    Hong Kong's high-quality post-secondary education comes at a reasonable price. Annual tuition fees for non-local students for undergraduate programmes range from HK$120,000 - $162,000 (about US$15,400 - US$20,800). That's cheaper than what you would pay at comparable institutions in the U.S. or U.K. Furthermore, full and partial scholarships are available for outstanding students to fund their education. For more details of the tuition fee, please click here.
  • What are the general entry requirements for undergraduate programmes offered by institutions in Hong Kong?
    Institutions in Hong Kong enjoy a high degree of autonomy in admission of students; requirements for student admission may vary from institution to institution, and from programme to programme. Institutions will make admission decisions primarily based on the merits of individual applications. We advise you to read the course information provided by institutions carefully and contact the institution(s) you intend to apply for. Click here to learn more.
  • Where can I obtain the application information?
    Application information is usually available at institutions’ website.
  • What is the length of an undergraduate degree programme?
    Most Bachelor Degree programmes are completed in four years of full-time study. Specialized fields (e.g. Medical Studies, Health Studies, etc) or joint/double degrees may require another year or two. Some non-local students may need to take a “Foundation Year” which better prepare them for undergraduate studies. For details, please refer to academic programmes.
  • I can’t speak Chinese (Cantonese/Putonghua), how can I communicate with people in Hong Kong? How can I understand what professors said in the classrooms?
    While Cantonese is the mother tongue of the majority Hong Kong people, most can also communicate in English. Street signs, restaurant menus, and government notices are bilingual. Announcements in train stations, buses and on ferries are given in Cantonese, English, and Putonghua. People in the service industry usually can communicate in at least three languages.
    Besides, English is used as the teaching medium in most university programmes. Some institutions offer beginner-level courses in both Cantonese and Putonghua. It is a good way to learn about the Chinese culture and enhance your everyday communication in Hong Kong.
  • I want to apply for scholarships, am I eligible to get a full scholarship?
    Most scholarships and award schemes are administered by the institutions themselves, including the Government ones. You may contact the student affairs or international office direct if you want to learn more about the details (including eligibility) of various scholarships and award schemes available. Click here.

Student Visa

  • Do I need to apply for a student visa/entry permit to study in Hong Kong?
    Pursuant to the existing immigration policy in Hong Kong, in general, all non-local students are required to obtain a student visa/entry permit prior to their arrival. Please click here for more details.
  • How can I apply for a student visa/entry permit?
    Institutions will provide assistance to admitted non-local students in applying for a student visa/entry permit. The institution will act as the sponsor for the visa/entry permit application and forward the application forms to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for processing.
  • How long will my visa/entry permit application take?
    It will normally take six weeks to process a visa/entry permit application for study upon receipt of all the required documents. Please click here for more details.

Prior to Arrival

  • When should I arrange my accommodation in Hong Kong?
    Upon successful admission, you may start looking for accommodation in Hong Kong. You can obtain more information about the accommodation arrangement for non-local students in Hong Kong by clicking here.
  • When should I buy my air ticket to Hong Kong?
    After your student visa application is successful, you can purchase your air ticket to Hong Kong.
  • Can I live off-campus?
    Sure! Non-local students can opt for on- or off-campus accommodation as they wish. More information is available here.
  • If I have decided to live in hostel provided by institutions, do I need to bring my own set of linens?
    Most hostels do not provide bed sheets, pillows or blankets. You are advised to prepare your own set of bedding before moving in. Of course, you can buy these items after your arrival in Hong Kong.

After Arrival