Skip to content


Once you are admitted by our institution, you may start making your accommodation arrangement. In Hong Kong, non-local students can opt for on- or off-campus accommodation. You are advised to contact the Residence Office or Student Affairs Office of your institution directly to explore the accommodation options available for you.

On-campus Accommodation
The hostel policy for non-local students varies among institutions. For University Grants Committee-funded institutions, non-local undergraduate students are normally offered hostel places for at least two years during their study period, probably the first two years of study. Some institutions even offer hostel places for the entire duration of study.

For on-campus accommodation, unless you opt for a single room, you will be made to share a room with local students or other non-local students of the same gender, as part of our institutions’ efforts to help you make friends and assimilate into university life. If you want to save money and travelling time, on-campus accommodation is the best choice for you.

Here, the fee for on-campus living ranges from HK$5,000 to HK$15,000 per semester, which varies from institution to institution. Besides, most hostels do not provide bed sheets and pillows. Please grasp your own set of linens from our shops before moving in.

As demand for student hostels is huge, you are advised to arrange your accommodation as early as possible if you plan to live on-campus.

Off-campus Accommodation
There has been a surge in the number of non-local students studying in Hong Kong in recent years. Given the limited hostel places, institutions may not be able to allocate a hostel place to each and every non-local student.

For those who cannot secure a hostel place, private rental accommodation is always an alternative. Living off-campus is more expensive than on-campus. The rental for off-campus accommodation could be in the range of HK$8,000–15,000 a month depending on the size, location and type of accommodation. Usually, places in the vicinity of university campuses are difficult to acquire and more expensive than those farther away. If you want to save money, you may consider sharing the house with a few room-mates.

If you choose to live off-campus, you should commence your search well in advance to your arrival. Some institutions would offer assistance in providing information on off-campus accommodation. You may contact their Residence Office or Student Affairs Office for more details.

Visit the following links to learn more about the facilities of hostels, fees, application procedures and other accommodation options provided by our institutions.


Publicly-funded Local Degree-awarding Institutions:

City University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Baptist University
Lingnan University
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
The Education University of Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The University of Hong Kong

Self-Financing Post-secondary Institutions:

Caritas Bianchi College of Careers
Saint Francis University
Chu Hai College of Higher Education
UOW College Hong Kong
Gratia Christian College
HKCT Institute of Higher Education
HKU SPACE Community College
HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC)
Hong Kong Art School
Hong Kong Baptist University – College of International Education
Hong Kong Baptist University – School of Continuing Education
Hong Kong College of Technology
Hong Kong Institute of Technology
Hong Kong Metropolitan University
Hong Kong Metropolitan University – Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education
Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education
Hong Kong Shue Yan University
Lingnan University - Lingnan Institute of Further Education
Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi) (a member institution of Vocational Training Council)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong - School of Continuing and Professional Studies
The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Hong Kong Community College
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - School of Professional Education and Executive Development
Tung Wah College
Vocational Training Council (VTC) - Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE), Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI), International Culinary Institute (ICI) & Hong Kong Institute of Information Technology (HKIIT)
Yew Chung College of Early Childhood Education
YMCA College of Careers

* Institutions running locally-accredited non-local post-secondary programmes in collaboration with non-local institutions